I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list. – Susan Sontag
Operation: Stay Healthy While Traveling
Origin: San Francisco, California
Destination: Paris, France
Logistics: 10 days of Travel, 11 hour flight x 2
Limitations: 26 lbs of weight (carry-on + personal item) + possible exposure to germs, definite stomach bloat (due to vacation eating), dehydration due to possible alcohol consumption, crying babies on airplanes and poor airport/airline food
Traveling makes my spirit come alive, however it is not always glamourous. Long flights, cramped seats, delayed flights and the possibility of sickness or hunger pains can truly be a test to an individuals will and immune system. Add on the fact that airport regulations charge for baggage now and limit your personal space. Yes, this doesn’t sound glamorous, but with a little bit of preparation and forethought you can actually have an easy-breezy, tip-top travel experience. It simply takes packing key snacks, products and supplements, plus a few beauty essentials to make traveling a healthy experience.
Airport Travel Tip 1: Did you know that you can opt out of going through the x-ray scanner, due to heavy radiation exposure. You can instead request to have a “pat-down” by a TSA member. You can request a female, as well as a private room if you don’t feel comfortable being checked in public.
What’s in my Carry-On?
The below non-toxic products are the ones I take every time I travel. Each one serves a purpose and together they make life so much more effortless and comforting. They keep my immune system in check, as well as my sanity. If I were to choose just one of these products, I would definitely go with the Digest Gold Probiotic. Not only has this supplement saved me from a mess of a bloat and upset stomach, but it has also saved my travel companions one or more times as well.
- EO Organic Essential Oils Hand Sanitizing Wipes: French Lavender – These wipes are perfect to use when you are not near a restroom to wash your hands.
- EO Organic Essential Oils Hand sanitizing Spray: French Lavender – This spray smells amazing and it is the perfect non-toxic solution for keeping germs at bay.
- Dr. Bronner’s Pure-Castille Soap Travel Size – I don’t like to use public restroom soaps because they are full of toxic chemicals and dry out my hands. I like to carry this non-toxic (environment-friendly), moisturizing all-purpose soap.
- Immune Strength Essential Oil Blend – An essential oil blend that wards off germs. This is also my go-to during cold/flu season. Learn how to make your own here. *Check out “Best Essential Oils & How to Use Them” for more details on the medicinal benefits of essential oils.
Key Supplements & Teas
- Enzymedica Digest Gold + Probiotics – Works miracles on digestion & stomach aches! Plus, it’s packed with digestive enzymes to help you break down heavy food.
- Traditional Medicinals Tea: Nettle, Dandelion, Ginger and Echinacea – Nettle & Dandelion detox the liver. Drink these the morning after consuming alcohol. Ginger is great for an upset stomach or indigestion. Echinacea boosts the immune system and helps ward off cold and flu symptoms.
- Country Life Activated Charcoal – Great to have on hand in case of food poisoning. If food poisoning is suspect, take immediately. Apple cider vinegar also works.
- Amazing Grass Original Greens Powder Packets – A green smoothie on the go! Simply mix with water and have before breakfast to keep your energy high.
- Ester C or Mega Food Daily C- Protect Powder – Vitamin C keeps your immune system revving and balanced even when you’re not traveling. It’s a must!
- Olive Leaf or Oil of Oregano – If I suspect I caught a bug on the airplane or feel sluggish/cold-like symptoms, I take 1 of these 3x day to ward off viruses/bacteria.
- Now Foods Melatonin 3 mg – Got to get my beauty sleep…if I don’t sleep, you don’t want to be around me. I take this if I’m really sleep deprived or can’t fall asleep. Another alternative is ashwagandha or passionflower tea before bed.
Airport Travel Tip 2: Put all your supplements into space saving pill dividers, so you don’t waste precious packing space by bringing the bottles.
Healthy Hangry Snacks
- Health Warrior Pumpkin Seed Bars or Nakd Bars – Airport food is not at all healthy! It’s so easy to succumb to junk when there is nothing else to eat. I prevent hunger pains and falling prey to unhealthy food by packing delicious, satisfying snacks.
- Once Again Nut Butter Packets or Artisana Nut Butter – Nut butters are full of healthy protein and fat, plus they keep you satisfied for longer periods of time.
- Dried Dates or Prunes – If you are like me, it’s hard to go when traveling…you know what I mean;D With the lack of fruit and veg (healthy fiber) + stress, this combination is a disaster for your digestion. Packing dates or prunes is the remedy.
- Brazil Nuts or Pistachios – Full of healthy protein and fat, Brazil nuts keep you satiated. Because they are full of selenium and chromium, they also promote weight loss, so you won’t feel as bad consuming a bit more pleasure food/drink — like wine!
Beauty, Body Care & Rest Essentials
- Suntegrity Moisturizing Face Sunscreen & Primer – This sunscreen is the best! I have sensitive skin and it doesn’t break me out. It’s also a moisturizer + primer.
- Living Libations Best Skin Ever or Sibu Beauty Sea Buckthorn Oil – I can’t live without these oils! They have improved my skin + acne scars tremendously. When I travel my skin tends to get dry and breakout. The key ingredient – sea buckthorn – takes care of both these issues and makes my skin glow!
- Evian Mineral Water Facial Spray Travel Duo – Hydration, hydration! It is so important to drink lots of water when traveling. To keep my skin extra hydrated and set my makeup, I use this H2O spray that is the perfect size for carry-on!
- Alba Botanica Soothing Sunscreen spf 45 – It’s important to wear sunscreen when outside for long periods of time. However, many sunscreens are destroying our coral reefs, so make sure your sunscreen is free of oxybenzone and octinoxate.
- Dr. Bronner’s All-One Toothpaste – This company is just amazing! I use all of their products including, liquid soap, bar soap, toothpaste and their hand sanitizer.
- Tea Tree Therapy Tea Tree Oil – Tea tree oil is so multi-purpose, it takes care of everything–acne flair ups, mosquito bites, weird fungal/wart issues, dandruff, etc.
- Ear Plugs and Sleeping Mask – Trying to sleep on a plane is rough. Blocking out noise and darkening your environment is super helpful when you need Zzz’s!
Airport Travel Tip 3: Bring your own empty glass or stainless steel water bottle and fill it up with hot water at an airport cafe. Add your own organic teas or greens powder to your water for extra immune support and hydration on the plane.
<3 Eat Your Greens Out
“Best Essential Oils & How to Use Them.” Happy DIY Home: https://happydiyhome.com/best-essential-oils/
Broder Van Dyke, Michelle. (2018) “Sunscreen Chemicals Are Destroying Coral Reefs And Now Hawaii Is Banning Them.” Buzz Feed News
*The links provided are affiliate links, I may receive an affiliate commission.