The Background Story: Dandruff
This DIY Dandruff recipe has a story…and it originates from a Reiki therapy session in California…
When I first started having health issues five years ago, my scalp suffered first and foremost: itchiness, major dandruff flakes and hair shed. I was desperate. I tried every product imaginable, including over-the-counter and prescription, but it wasn’t until I started seeking out healers that I was lead to pieces of my health-imbalance-puzzle. This experience eventually led me to the natural gifts of nature! As “woo-woo” as Reiki seemed, I simply didn’t care. Nothing else had worked, so I said, bring on the “woo-woo!’
First Reiki Session
In my first Reiki session, I was told I had a major intolerance to dairy. I was advised to eliminate all dairy from my diet because I was sensitive to it in the highest degree. All ears at this point, I thought, hell yes, let’s get rid of dairy (and I did just that…it was worth getting rid of it if it meant less scalp issues). Next, I was instructed to drink a very strange mineral broth: 1/2 red onion, 2-3 garlic cloves and 3 leaves of organic romaine lettuce. I actually wasn’t told why, but looking back now I believe it was to eliminate a possible fungal issue (a.k.a. candida). For my scalp, I was told to boil 2-3 sprigs of rosemary in water, let it cool, add 1/2 squeezed lemon and 4 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar. For the method, I was to apply it to my scalp, cover with a shower cap, sleep with this in my hair over night and shampoo like normal in the morning. This prescription was so different than any other I had from traditional doctors, but I was 100% on board. Plus, it seemed completely healthy for my body. I had nothing to lose.
Post Reiki Session
Post Reiki session, I couldn’t wait to try the hair remedy. That same night I prepared the hair treatment. I wasn’t in love with the ACV smell, but decided it was a small price to pay for a healthy scalp. The next day, after a good shampoo, I couldn’t believe how soft my hair was–the itchiness had disappeared and the flakes were 85% gone. That day I was even graced with several comments on how healthy my hair looked. In 7th heaven, I couldn’t wait to try it again, in hopes that I might completely eliminate my flakes.
A few hair treatments later and low and behold, I was blessed with the ultimate dandruff fighting recipe. On top of this, I was clued in on the fact that food intolerances can be and usually are a major contributing factor to inflammation in the body and other issues, possibly even scalp dandruff. I am forever grateful for meeting the husband/wife team that practiced community Reiki all over the Bay Area.
Why Do We Get Dandruff?
To be accurate, modern medicine does not know why dandruff occurs. It is speculated that it could be a fungus or imbalance of yeast on the skin or it could caused by the following conditions according to Dr. Axe:
- Poor Diet/Malnutrition
- Door Digestion
- Prescription Medications
- Oily Skin or Dry Skin
- Over-production of Yeast
- Imbalance of Skin Ph/Natural Bacteria
- Harsh, Drying Hair Products
- Dry Climate
Plan of Action to Eliminate Dandruff
Below is a natural plan of action with both dietary and lifestyle interventions to help alleviate an itchy and flaky scalp. It may take a bit of time to find out what works best for you, but having options is the beauty of holistic health. I am not a doctor, nor a dermatologist, so if you have a severe scalp condition it is best to consult with a medical professional first for a diagnosis.
- Increase Omega-3 Rich Foods and/or Supplement
- Increase Anti-Inflammatory Foods
- Eliminate Food Intolerances
- Increase Probiotic Rich Foods and/or Supplement
- Increase Stomach Acid (HCL) with Lemon Water
- Eliminate Stress
- Get rid of toxic shampoos and hair products
- Stop over-styling with heat and dryers
- Wash your hair less or more depending on if it is dry or oily
- Give yourself scalp treatments with Jojoba or Hemp oil
- Do a scalp rinse with Apple Cider Vinegar + Rosemary
- Spray Colloidal Silver on scalp for very serious flakes/irritation
- Examine prescriptions/malnutrition that could cause dandruff/dry skin
DIY Hair Rinse for Dandruff
Below I share the DIY Hair Rinse/Overnight Scalp Treatment that has made my hair so much more healthy and has eliminated those pesky flakes. I cannot credit myself for this natural recipe. I consider it a gift from my Reiki therapists that I pass on in hopes it will help others who may be suffering with dandruff.
- 1/2 Lemon
- 2-3 Rosemary Sprigs
- 4 tablespoons of Organic Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1-2 drops of lavender essential oil (optional)
- 3-4 cups of filtered water
- Plastic Wrap
- Pot for Boiling
- Glass Mason Jar
- Shower Cap
- Boil water with rosemary sprigs for 15-20 minutes until you start to see the rosemary essential oil form on top of the water.
- When the water has cooled, add 1/2 fresh squeezed lemon and ACV, stir and pour into a jar or glass cup.
- Bring the empty pot + your jar of rosemary water to your tub and place the pot inside the tub.
- Because this part gets messy, put a towel over your shoulders, flip your hair over your tub/empty pot and slowly start to pour your rosemary water over your dry hair, making sure your empty pot in under to catch the water.
- Once you have poured all the rosemary water over your head, place the water that landed in the pot, back into your jar and saturate your hair once again. Repeat this process until your hair is completely saturated.
- Wring out your hair, wrap your hair in plastic wrap and then put a shower cap on over to keep any excess rosemary water from dripping. You may leave this hair rinse on a couple of hours or sleep with it in overnight, just make sure you put a towel over your pillow in case any leftover water creeps out of your shower cap.
- The next morning, shampoo your hair as normal, using an organic, chemical-free shampoo. I like this one: Organic Excellence Wild Mint Shampoo.
- Enjoy your shiny, healthy hair and scalp. Repeat this 1-3 times a week until your flakes completely disappear.
Let me know in the comments below if this recipe helps your flakes.
Wishing you healthy hair and a healthy scalp too!