This recipe will blow your mind! First, because it tastes so so delicious and second because this dessert only takes 6 minutes to make. Yes, that’s right…6 minutes! We’ve all been there…it’s nine o’clock at night, your sweet tooth kicks in and you are craving a delicious treat. Of course, there’s no time for making a pie or cookies and you prefer to have something healthier than those options anyways. You spot your overripe fruit and realize you have found the perfect solution! Images of sautéed apples with coconut cream, fried plantains with melted nut butter and poached pears with chocolate hazelnut spread spring to mind! All of these options sounds divine. But, since it is nearing fall, your heart desires the aromatic scent of poached pears–to welcome the chilly night and falling leaves of autumn.
Nutritional Benefits of Pears
Let’s talk about the nutritional aspect of pears. Pears are an excellent source of water soluble fiber and they are actually higher in pectin than apples. Pectin helps to lower cholesterol levels and tones the intestines. In fact, pears are one of the most hypoallergenic fruits, which means that most people (including infants) have no problems consuming this fruit. They are a wonderful source of vitamin C, copper, vitamins B2, E and potassium, which is all the more reason to include pears into your seasonal autumn eats.
The pairing of pears (love that) with melted chocolate is definitely one to awaken the senses and is just the perfect combination when trying to satisfy that sweet tooth. I absolutely love Nutiva’s new Organic Chocolate Hazelnut Spread, as it is puts the best of two worlds in one jar–real food and real delicious. To be more specific, it has 40% less sugar than Nutella, 450 mg of Omega 3’s, and 5 grams of fiber per serving. On top of all this it is gluten free. And with ingredients like chia seed oil, flaxseed flour and sustainable red palm oil, you really get a lot of nutrition packed into one small serving of spread. For a nutritionist this is a win-win! Needless to say, Nutiva has made dessert easy and I’m glad to have a snack on hand like this as it makes life that much easier.
Poached Pears + Chocolate Hazelnut Spread
As pears, apples, pomegranates and root vegetables show up in the markets, the image of leaves falling and spiced apple cider brewing comes to mind. Not only this, but pie and dessert making desires spring to life. One thing I love about this poached pear recipe is it is a complete reminder of the fall season. And as the daylight hours dwindle, all the more reason to get into the kitchen and try out a recipe like this 6 minute poached pear dessert!
Serves: 2-4 people Time: 6 minutes
- 1-2 pears per person
- 1 tsp of Nutiva Buttery Coconut Oil
- 1 tbs of Nutiva Coconut Sugar
- 1/2 lemon squeezed
- 1 tbs Nutiva Chocolate Hazelnut Spread
- chopped nuts like pistachio or hazelnuts (optional)
- Rinse pears with filtered water and slice the bottoms off (about 1/8 an inch), leaving a flat bottom so they will stand level in the pot.
- Poke holes in your pear with a knife for even steaming (poaching). This also creates a beautiful marbling effect to the outside skin once steamed.
- Pour water into pot (about a 1/4 an inch of water) for the poaching. Place pears in the bottom of the pot.
- Pour in your fresh squeezed lemon and buttery coconut oil. Sprinkle coconut sugar on top of pears.
- Cover pot with the lid. Over medium heat let your pears steam (poach) for 5 minutes.
- Remove lid and place your pears on a beautiful serving dish. Drizzle 1 tbs of Chocolate Hazelnut (to your liking) over your pears, sprinkle with chopped nuts if you desire and enjoy!
In divine health,
Murray, M. (2005). The Encyclopedia of Healing Foods. NY: Atria Books